Here are some answers to our most common questions…
01) How does “Coverage“ (filming time) work?
While we will discuss YOUR specific wedding ideas and schedule during our consultation. Until then, here is how we typically approach your wedding day…
- Full wedding day coverage typically starts 60 minutes before brides hair and make-up are scheduled to be complete and ends up to 8 hours later.
- Normally up to 8 hours will provide enough coverage into your reception to capture the important moments. If for some reason we do need to go over, we will discuss those options with you before the wedding day so we don’t have to interrupt the flow.
- Coverage or filming time on your wedding day is uninterrupted and will run continuous. Flex coverage which may happen the day before or after your wedding is based on schedule of events with 3 hr/min per event.
- Depending on venue and location, b-roll, aerial or time-lapse filming may start earlier in the day at videographers discretion.
- Rehearsal Dinner and Flex coverage is typically filmed with a single videographer.
02) What about Drone or Aerial footage?
We always offer drone or aerial footage with our packages. We don’t charge extra, and we don’t deduct anything if we don’t use. You see, a drone is just one of the many tools we have available, just like an automated 27′ camera mast to give us an aerial shot without a drone. Using a drone or mast at your wedding will depend on a few things… proximity to an airport, venue regulations, WIND, and will the footage add something or make sense for your wedding. We follow all FAA regulations regarding drone use and will work with you to see if it makes sense.
03) Can we just book you? Do we need to schedule a consultation?
When we receive any request, we respond with an email providing additional details which do answer a lot of the questions couples have. With that email you also have the option to either begin the booking process by requesting a quote, or you can schedule a consultation. Each couple is at a different place in their planning process so we make it easy for you to choose whatever makes the most sense for you.
Now, we are committed that your wedding film be amazing, and an amazing film requires us working together from the very beginning. We don’t need much of your time, typically a 15-30 minute call is all we need to get to know each other and understand what’s important to you. We can then lay the groundwork for the best way to capture your day and provide you with the memories you will treasure. Also, since we will be spending a LOT of time together on your wedding day, we BOTH need to be sure we’re a fit.
After our consultation, we will send you a custom quote based on what we both feel are the best options for you to consider. As you review the quote, you can select what you’re most interested in and we will then send you a contract for review as well as an invoice. All online and easily accessible from a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
04) How far do you travel? And will it cost us extra?
If a US Passport will get us there… we’re ready to go!*
We operate “locally” out of Napa – Sonoma, and the greater San Francisco Bay area.We don’t charge any travel fees in our “local” areas. For multi day destination films and/or when we do travel outside of our “local area”, or anywhere in the world, we will build the travel into your custom quote based on our conversations. We don’t like surprises and we feel that you probably don’t either, So, when your wedding is complete, you won’t have to worry about any lingering bills… All you have to do is remember how amazing your wedding was!
*Actually, there are various regulations in some countries, so, if you are planning an outside the US destination wedding, let us know and we can let you know if there are any restrictions.
*NOTE: Each country has specific rules about who can work there… if you’re interested in International destinations, please contact us for availability.
05) What about music? Do we get to choose music for our films?
Yes and no. You are hiring us to create a piece of “art” that represents your wedding day to the best of our ability. Sometimes your favorite songs really don’t match the mood or feeling of your day and to use them, would be a failure on our part. Now ultimately, your wedding day is about you and not us. So, we send out a questionnaire after booking us to answer some of our logistical questions as well as some questions about the two of you. Your favorite movies, songs, genre’s, and even the things you don’t like. We use this information to find songs that we can license, and that will represent not only your day, but your style and taste.
06) Can you explain the various edited film options?
Over the last several decades what we deliver has gone thru some dramatic changes. It used to be you often received a 2-3 hour film… usually filmed with a single camera, and it wasn’t all that exciting. Today, with multiple cameras and more advanced editing, we can create several separate films for you depending on what you want to watch 10-20 years from now. Our packages are built around the following types of edited, creative films…
1) Trailer Film is typically 3-4 minutes
2) Highlight Film is typically about 6 minutes
3) Short Story Film is about 7-9 minutes
4) Feature Film is about 10-12 minutes
5) Ceremony Film runs in real time
6) Toasts/Speech Experience Films run in real time
7) Sometimes our couples want a little bit of everything. We also can provide a “Raw / Documentary Edit Film”. What we do is take all of the footage we filmed, remove things like walking with a camera looking at the floor, etc. Then we perform a broad color correction and place all of the clips in a sequential order of your day. The audio is as the cameras recorded it except for the edited films dropped into the timeline. Run-time for this film can vary depending in the package. Typical Signature 8 hr day package yields about 2-4 hours.
NOTE: Film options are also dependent on the amount of coverage booked.
07) How do we reserve our date?
We get requests from all over the country and many of our couples want to have a film that not only captures their day, but the beautiful location they chose as well. After our consultation, we’ll send you a quote for review. After reviewing, it’s as simple as selecting a package and any options you are interested in. We’ll then send you a contract and invoice online. If your event is more than 6 months away, the non-refundable retainer is 30%. If you are booking within 6 months of your wedding date, your retainer would be 50% of total invoice. Receipt of your signed contract and your retainer reserves your date. Payments can be made online with either a credit card or electronic check. We typically only book one wedding per weekend, so, it’s first come first serve!
08) We don’t want to feel like we’re surrounded by Paparazzi… How do you film the day?
Your wedding is about you and your guests. We are committed to basically being invisible during your day and do our best to let your day unfold naturally. We use long telephoto lenses for many of our shots, and of course we use smaller DSLR type cameras which don’t draw a lot of attention. During your ceremony is when we will use the most cameras… with different angles and areas covered with stationary cameras, we typically don’t move around a lot so as to not draw any attention from your guests, or you. Other than your ceremony, our focus is on walking around and looking for those special moments, those family members doing something funny, or maybe your Grandparents on the dance floor getting down. We never know what we’ll find and those real moments are what makes your film memorable. Of course you can always read our reviews online (Wedding Wire) to learn more about previous clients’ experiences with us being invisible.
We also don’t believe in doing those icky (technical term) interviews, where you stick a camera with a bright light into someone’s face and ask them to leave a thoughtful message. We do have an option for collecting thoughtful messages… we can set up a video guestbook!
09) Do you work well with photographers? Other vendors?
Your wedding is all about the two of you, your family and friends. Therefore, we make it a point to call your photographer the week before your wedding if we haven’t worked with them before. Not only that, but we also reach out to your DJ, Venue, and of course your Planner. This allows us to establish a “team effort” mentality with the professionals you’ve chosen for your day. The day of your wedding we again meet up and work out strategies so we can all function as a team, dedicated to you and your day.
As many couples have asked, we also can provide a photographer for you. If this is something you may be interested in, just let us know.
10) So, what about 4K?
While we do film all of our weddings in 4K, we currently down sample and deliver our films in HD.
Over the last few years, technology is allowing us to film in greater detail, but most couples really haven’t requested 4k delivery. Sometimes the detail is a little much and HD is still the preferred delivery resolution.
So, since 4K is not yet a standard in the wedding film world, we leave the choice up to you. If 4k is something you really want, we have that option available for you. Just ask!
11) Do we get all of the raw footage?
We do not include the RAW footage in any package. We do have 2 options for you.
ONE – All of the RAW video footage on a USB Hard Drive as taken from the camera, and file structure is organized by camera name.
TWO – A RAW Doc Edit of your day where we take all of your “usable” video footage and drop into a sequential time line of your day. We then drop in at the appropriate places, any edited films you ordered like ceremony, toasts, rehearsal dinner, video guestbook, etc. This film is delivered digitally, on line.
12) When and How will we receive our wedding film?
Your finished collection of films is typically delivered within 3 months. Delivery is done thru an online streaming service. You can share and download directly from the service and make as many copies for family and friends as you would like. We also STRONGLY recommend downloading and saving to either your own “cloud” account or hard drives.
Your question not answered here? Just give us a call at 707-481-7282